Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Luke 18:9-14

Continuing in my "not satisfied with the answers" strain of thought.

Another question, which the answerer received beforehand (so knew was coming), was this: If God is up in heaven, why do look down when we pray?

The answerer said first that he doesn't believe that God is only in heaven, but everywhere. I'm not entirely sure about this, but I was okay with him saying so. I might think about that some other time.

I think he put something in there about how if you do something wrong, and are going to your parents about it, you don't look them in the face. This was good and I wished he had continued in this strain. He didn't.

He finished by talking about how God is really really awesome and we're not so awesome. So it's just an admission of how awesome God is. But I don't think "not so awesome" really describes us at all.

I mean, we see lowered heads for prayer in the bible. Jesus talks about it a lot. So if something we practice goes back to the bible, is that not a good enough explanation for why we do it? And furthermore, isn't it a good opportunity to get kids looking to the bible for answers?

It reminds me of Jim's (excellent) sermon on Sunday. He talked about how he was looking for a sermon illustration on google and youtube, something like the story of Lot's wife. And then he was like--oh! the story of Lot's wife! I could use that as a sermon illustration! Who would have thought we could use scripture to illuminate scripture? (Unfortunately I think many missed that he was taking a stab...even at other things that had happened that night).

But anyway. Let's have a look at the bible.

Luke 18:9-14

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

So--Jesus honours the act of looking down during prayer. But what does it mean? It's clear here that "it's because we're not so awesome" just doesn't cut it. When we look down, it is an admission that we are not worthy of God's attention. When we look down, it is an admission that we have rebelled against a holy God. When we look down, we are being humble and admitting what we are.

And if we admit that we are no good, God will exalt us in the end. Jesus didn't come to save the not so awesome but kinda awesome. Jesus came to save sinners, which is what we are.

I think I will make one more post about answers I was unsatisfied with--there was one about--oh, I can't even remember. If I do I will write it down.

It saddens me that the answerer did not even open a bible on Friday night.

I also want to post about what we looked at at bible study this week, so hopefully writing it here will make me commit to it. And I like writing about sermons too.

I'm also listening to a Japanese audio bible. Very exciting. But I don't really understand very much but an ocassional word... the reader saying the chapter and verse numbers... yeah.

2 comments:

  1. Have you shared your thoughts with the answerer? That would be helpful for them to hear, I do imagine.
    I also love Jim's honesty and boldness in the way he speaks - it makes me smile.

    But do share with the answerer. Otherwise, they can't learn anything new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I owe you an apology. I meant to look around on Sunday night to see if this person actually stayed around once service's ended, but got caught up in the hustle and bustle and forgot.

    But I don't think they hang around.

    ReplyDelete